Friday, April 8, 2011

Garry Winogrand

I guess it is sort of fitting that I am extremely tired this morning and don't want to go into a full length post. Last night I did a presentation in class on Garry Winogrand. He was a street photographer famous for his work in the 60s. This morning I have decided to acquaint you all with some of his work.

He loved to get out into the streets of New York with his 35mm camera and just snap photos. He also loved to snap photos at parties. He had an eye for the opportune moment. His tilted horizons and juxtaposition of unrelated elements set his work apart from other street photographers.

On a slight digression: Did you all know that photography has been an experimental art form almost since its invention in the 1830s? But it wasn't taught as art in schools until the 1970s. Up until that time it was taught in chemistry and science departments. Just to give you an idea of how long it took for photography as an art form to gain legitimacy.

Anyway... Here is some of Garry Winogrand's work.









The man himself

For more on Garry Winogrand you can read this article and many more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/essays/vanRiper/030131.htm

15 comments:

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

That second photo looked phomiliar.
Wasn't that Fiona?

~ D-FensDogg
'Loyal American Underground'

Marjorie said...

Stephen- Your so goofy. Don't forget to check your butt out today!

Tara Tyler said...

awesome photos - I really like the girl at the bar - a story forms just looking at her.
she's had quite a life, let me tell you!
(side note, thought you'd go with green...ha ha)
Happy G day!

Marjorie said...

Side note: I can't believe I just wrote your instead of you're. Geez, I AM tired.

Unknown said...

One of the pioneers! Nice post.

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, great pictures. I'd seen the Marilyn Monroe one, of course, but I love that park bench one.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

>>...Don't forget to check your butt out today!

Somebody had already checked it out.

But I put in a request, so as soon as it gets returned, I'm next.

~ D-FensDogg
'Loyal American Underground'

[P.S. -- Yeah, you're right, I am.]

DiscConnected said...

The Marilyn photo is iconic.

LC

Grammy said...

Hi, Marjorie, I liked the photos, and I like to take pictures, too. Mine have a long way to go to ever be as good as his! For years I have been the family photographer. So many of them don't have me in them, of course. :)
Thanks for the visits and comments.
Ruby

Grammy said...

Post Script: I love the color Emerald, besides the fact that it is my birthstone. :)
Ruby

Leovi said...

Beautiful all, the picture of Marilyn has been on our retinas as one of the icons of the twentieth century. Undoubtedly one of the greatest photographers.

Unknown said...

Margorie, thanks.. I love to learn new names and people... I love the marilyn but who doesn't.. LOL

Eliza said...

Those are great photos. Hello, happy H day :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I recognize his work...but never knew the man or his name. Great post!

Margaret Hall said...

Awesome photos....Thanks for sharing your passion for his work...(sorry for the delay, life was in the way)...
Catching up, however...

http://timeforabucketlist.blogspot.com/
http://imagesinthought.blogspot.com/
http://the-old-story-tree.blogspot.com/
http://bagladythoughts.blogspot.com/