Friday, October 8, 2010

Project number 1

If you have been reading for a while you know that I am in a photography class. I had promised to post photos on my blog, but I wanted to make sure the projects were over and turned in first. I don't know why. This first project was called What do you know. It was basically assigned to see what kind of photos we knew how to take and where we are in terms of experience and know-how.

The assignment itself was simple enough: Take four different pictures(out of about 100 exposures) of the same subject. They were not to be slight variations on one another. They had to be clearly different. I chose as my subject an old, worn out boot. It was mainly because I thought a worn boot would have a sort of personality.

When critique time came I realized that I was more advanced than some people but far inferior to others. I expected as much. What I didn't expect was that perhaps I was a bit to obscure in my story. My boot was supposed to be on a journey. Oh well.

I decided to make to story a bit more concrete on my blog and write a poem accompanied by the photos. So without further ado here is:

The Higher Ground

I stepped upon the river bank
In search of higher ground
And laid upon the green grass
When none was to be found





Wandering far from home
I stood upon a wall
That was not high enough
Not adequate at all



I made for distant peaks
My body old and worn
The higher ground was nearing
I'd get there as I'd sworn

I climbed both long and high
To the summit of the mount
My weary life behind me
As I solemnly looked out

My life at closing time drew near
I recognized that truth
I closed my eyes and said goodbye
To old age and to youth.

-Marjorie Napier-




Well, That's that. My next projects are close together. I have to complete on this weekend and another by next weekend. Expect posts.

9 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

This Marjorie was excellent. I know you have been busy but it was good to see you back.
I loved the poem it was a real pleasure to read.

Yvonne.

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

Hey, very nice, Marjorie! Both the photographs and the poem. You're double talented!

You should post more often. How can I "Follow" your blog if it rarely "moves"?

~ D-FensDogg
'Loyal American Underground'

डा0 हेमंत कुमार ♠ Dr Hemant Kumar said...

Very nice attractive and impressive post...i liked it.
best Wishes.
Hemant
http://childrensheaven.blogspot.com

Marjorie said...

Yvonne- Thanks, I like to be able to get on and blog, but I really have been busy.

Stephen- I know, I know! I'll try to do better.

Hemant- Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's always so great to get new visitors.

Lisa said...

LOVE the boot! I think it makes for a perfect photo subject. The poem was wonderful, too and went along quite well with your photos.

Hart Johnson said...

I love it, Marjorie! I like the boot's journey--both photographic and poetic.

Grammy said...

Great subject for photographs! You give me ideas. I have a pair of dress shoes that my husband loved and left behind when he passed away 3 months ago. They would make a good subject for a blog posting, and I may just do that. I really enjoyed the poem with the pictures, too. Ruby

Arlee Bird said...

Nice photos and accompanying poetry.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Anonymous said...

後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮後宮